Friday, May 19, 2006

I Never Said it Was a Picnic!


Okay, I never said raising you girls was a picnic. Now don't get me wrong... I wouldn't trade it for anything this world has to offer, but it is hard sometimes - okay - it's hard most of the time. My days are filled with the office and then to the daycare and then home with my wonderful girls. Grocery buying has turned into the ultimate nightmare, especially when you have two babies in the cart and both are grabbing anything they can get their little grubby hands on! If I weren't the type to scrutinize the cart before going to checkout, I would have found myself purchasing sugar cookies, three cartoon books, two romance novels, a pack of men's gillette shavers, doggy treats (we don't have a dog) a few cat toys (I refuse to let my human girls play with animal toys... period!) not to mention the many different brands of shampoo and the pregnancy test that made it into the cart also! Okay, the pregnancy test was certainly not needed - unless it was through divine intervention - hey, I took biology class - I know what it takes!


So getting the groceries into the apartment turns into this weird transfer game where I juggle the bags in one hand, my 13 month old Alicia in the other hand, and manage to convince my 2 year old Ashley to hold onto the toilet paper while we trek from the car to the apartment (this in itself is a tremendous feat! Especially since we live in a basement apartment!)



My girls continue to grow and continue to surprise me with all the new things they pick up... Alicia calls me "mama" unless she really wants something right away, that's when she calls me "maaaaaaaaaa" and Ashley just let me know that she is definitely ready to potty train (I say she is 2 years old but she will actually be 2 this May!) Ashley now knows how to take off and put on her own clothes, remove her diaper and use a wipe all by herself, and put on her own socks and shoes. Since she also tries to brush her own hair and she is doing really well on brushing her own teeth, you could imagine my amazement at the fact that she won't say "peepee" or "potty" but instead she alerts me by dancing in place while holding her hands to her privates and saying "ill ill ill"!

Needless to say, since this behavior has just begun this week, I have had to scrub out the carpet in the hallway, the bathroom, and re-wash her bed sheets twice this week... so... how long does it last before they finally get how to potty?!?!? I'm sure we will survive through it but most certain that I probably have the cleanest carpet in the world with all of the scrubbing I've done this week alone.

Of course, after putting me through these horrible potty mishaps, the girls tend to do some of the cutest things which just make it all seem fine... we went to the park and they both were so excited that they continued to point at flowers and squirrels and trees all the while, laughing up a storm and saying "oooohhhhhh" and my personal favorite "uh oh - whoa!" Yeah, I think I can handle it!

Note to Self:

It's funny how you get so used to the married life that you become oblivious to other members of the opposite sex and when you get ready to divorce - your dating radar still has a lot of kinks in it... A co-worker actually had to tell me that some guy was hitting on me at the front desk - all the while during his five minutes of talking about restaurants and nice hiking trails to visit, I was obliviously wondering why he was still standing there telling me all this... and then my co-worker says, after he left of course, "Jenn, why did you brush him off like that? Wasn't he cute?" Then it hits me and I ask her, "You mean - he was hitting on me???" So note to self: You don't wear a wedding band anymore... don't act like you still do.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home